RS Sailing RS Aero Single-Handed Sailboat
2015 Sailing World One-Design Sailboat of the Year Winner
The RS Aero is the product of three years of design and development, testing four different hull variations and numerous rig, foil and layout options. This dedication to refining the design results in a boat that RS Sailing is confident is the most technically advanced in its sector.
The RS Aero completely re-sets the standard for pure exhilaration in a simple single-hander. Ultra-light weight means the hull form and rigs need not be extreme, so the RS Aero is remarkably easy to handle.
The light weight makes the RS Aero exceptionally user-friendly on shore: Virtually anyone can lift the boat onto a car roof-rack – pulling it up the beach makes you smile – and simplicity means the boat can be rigged in moments.
The philosophy for this boat was to prioritise ultra-light weight, performance and practicality in order to produce a simple, yet refined and durable single-hander that will suit any sailor between 77 and 210lb.
Astonishingly, the RS Aero hull weighs less than an Opti at just 75lb, with three rig options which will typically suit:
- Junior/youth - RS Aero 5
- Women & light men - RS Aero 7
- Men - RS Aero 9
The RS Aero ignites the excitement of sailing in its least complicated form – complex thinking leading to beautiful simplicity. It is affordable and, with RS Sailing’s global distribution network, assured of worldwide success.
- Designer: Jo Richards | RS Sailing
- Length: 4m | 13'2"
- Beam: 1.4m | 4'7"
- Hull weight: 30kg | 66lb
- Sail area: 5.2m² | 54 ft²
- Sail area: 7.4m² | 77 ft²
- Sail area: 8.9m² | 93 ft²
- Mast — 2-part carbon fiber with track & halyard
- Boom — Carbon fiber with center mainsheet
- Daggerboard — Epoxy composite - foam core
- Rudder blade— Epoxy composite - foam core
- Rudder stock — Aluminum casting - custom design
- Toe strap — Padded & adjustable
- Vang - cunningham - outhaul controls Split & cleated on either side-deck